- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Rinse the lentils and set them aside.
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it becomes soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon to the pot and stir.
- Add the vegetable broth and lentils to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils become tender.
- Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve hot, garnished with cilantro or parsley.
The benefits of this lentil soup recipe come from the use of ginger and turmeric. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can help with digestion and nausea. Turmeric is also known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and has been shown to potentially improve brain function, lower the risk of heart disease, and even reduce the risk of certain cancers. Lentils are a good source of plant-based protein and fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and support healthy digestion. This soup is also vegan and gluten-free.